SPS Popcorn Recipes
Mrs Nicole Kohn has prepared some delectable popcorn recipes to help us settle in for a great night watching this year’s Celebration of Achievement.
There is a recipe for everyone with a perfect buttered popcorn recipe and 3 mix it up flavouring ideas and also a decadent peanut butter baked popcorn for those with a sweet tooth.
Perfect Popcorn – Buttered
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Makes 2 Serves
- 3 TBSP coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 CUP of high quality popcorn kernels
- 1 TBSP or more (to taste) of butter (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium sized, heavy base saucepan
Note: Make sure the inside of the pot is completely dry before heating the oil in it, or else the oil will sputter.
- Heat the oil: Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium high heat. If you are using coconut oil, allow all of the solid oil to melt.
- Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil. Wait for the popcorn kernels to pop. When the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer.
- Cover the pot, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. (Count out loud! It’s fun to do with kids.)
- This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then waiting 30 seconds brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.
- Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner.
- Tip: As the popcorn pops, try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper).
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
- Melt butter in the empty hot pan: If you are adding butter, you can easily melt it by placing the butter in the now empty, but hot pan.
- Tip: if you let the butter get just a little bit brown, it will add an even more intense, buttery flavour to the butter and to your popcorn. Just drizzle the melted butter over the popcorn and toss to distribute.
- Sprinkle the popcorn with salt to taste.
Mix it up Flavouring Ideas
- Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn Seasoning – 2 TBSP icing sugar, 1 TSP cinnamon, ¼ TSP salt
- Gingerbread Popcorn Seasoning – 1 ½ TBSP icing sugar, 1 TSP cinnamon, ¼ TSP ground ginger, ¼ TSP ground cloves
- Mexican Chocolate Popcorn Seasoning – 1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 TBSP icing sugar, 1 TSP cinnamon, ¼ TSP salt, pinch cayenne pepper
Decadent Popcorn – Peanut Butter Popcorn
- 2 TBS Vegetable Oil
- ⅓ CUP (75G) Popcorn Kernels
- ½ CUP (140G) Smooth Peanut Butter
- ½ CUP (175G) Maple Syrup
- ½ CUP (40G) Flaked Almonds
- ½ TSP Sea Salt Flakes
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Pop your popcorn as per the above perfect popcorn recipe from steps 1-6 (stopping at the end of step 6).
- Add the peanut butter, maple syrup, almonds and salt to the saucepan and stir until coated.
- Spread on a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Set aside to cool slightly before serving.